Frequently Asked Questions
Can financial support be provided through a Smith & Nephew grant for meals or receptions?
Financial support for meals or receptions may be provided to the third-party provider only if the meal or reception is held at the time of the medical education conference. The meal or reception should be modest in cost and be held at a suitable venue that is conducive to discussion among faculty and attendees. The amount of time spent at the meal or reception must be subordinate to the amount of time spent at the medical education conference.
Can financial support be provided through a Smith & Nephew grant for residents or other HCPs in training to attend educational conferences?
In accordance with the PhRMA and Advamed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals, funds to permit medical students, residents, fellows and other HCPs in training may be provided to attend carefully selected educational conferences. The selection of individuals who will receive the funds must be made by the academic or training institution and payment will be made to the event organizer and not to an individual HCP. “Carefully selected educational conferences” are generally defined as the major educational, scientific, or policy-making meetings of national, regional or specialty medical associations.
If funding is available, the Orthopaedics and ENT teams may provide scholarship funding support directly to third-party courses to offset registration, travel and/or lodging fees for medical students, residents, fellows and other HCPs to attend third-party medical education courses. Due to limited resources, the Orthopaedics and ENT teams generally does not provide funding to academic or training institutions to allow medical students, residents, fellows and other HCPs to attend educational conferences.
Does previous support of a program by Smith & Nephew influence future support?
No. Each grant submitted to Smith & Nephew will be evaluated based on individual merit.
How soon before my activity, do I need to submit a grant request?
Requests for Wound support should be submitted online at least 45 days in advance of the activity or enduring materials creation.
Requests for Orthopaedics and ENT support should be submitted online by the quarterly deadline and at least 60 days in advance of the activity or enduring materials creation.
Can I request a grant for an activity that has already occurred?
No. The Smith & Nephew will not review grant requests for any event or activity that has already occurred.
When do I receive notification regarding the status of my grant application?
You will receive separate emails notifying you of the following:
- The grant request has been received
- The grant requested has been accepted for review by the Smith & Nephew
- A decision has been made by Smith & Nephew
- For approved grants, when the grant payment has been processed.
How will I know if my grant request is approved?
- You can check the status of your grant request by logging in to your account on the Smith & Nephew Grant Management System.
- You will receive notification via email notifying you when a decision has been made. If your grant request has been approved, you will receive notification via email along with a Draft Grant Agreement or Letter of Agreement that requires signature and must be returned to Smith & Nephew for processing.
- Please do not consider any grant formally approved until you have received notification of approval from Smith & Nephew via email AND the Smith & Nephew Grant Agreement or Letter of Agreement.
Will my Smith & Nephew field representative be able to assist me with the application process?
No. Sales Team members are prohibited from promising, confirming or notifying recipients of approved or declined requests. Only the Smith & Nephew Grants Coordinator may assist you with your grant request. Please email us at egrantsWound@smith-nephew-grants.com for Wound requests and egrantsOrtho@smith-nephew-grants.com for Orthopaedics/ENT requests if you have any questions not addressed by visiting this web site.
Will my Smith & Nephew field representative be able to keep me apprised of the status of my grant?
No. You will be able to check the status of your grant request by logging in to the Smith & Nephew using the username and password you chose when you registered.
Does Smith & Nephew ever specifically request or invite grant submissions?
No. Requests for continuing medical education grants are never solicited.
Can I resubmit a grant once it has been denied?
No. The decision made by the Smith & Nephew Grant Review Committee to decline a grant is final. All further inquiries must be directed to the Smith & Nephew Grants Coordinator via email at egrantsWound@smith-nephew-grants.com (Wound) or egrantsOrtho@smith-nephew-grants.com (Orthopaedics/ENT).
What are the required elements of the Letter of Request?
A signed Letter of Request (on third party provider’s letterhead) is required to be attached during the grant application process. A Letter of Request at a minimum should contain these elements as applicable:
- Name of the institution/entity requesting the support
- A detailed description of the requested support
- A description of the program’s learning objectives and program details
- How the funding or in-kind support will be used
- Date of program or activity
- Course/Event/Activity Location and Venue
- For educational courses, the targeted audience and estimated number of attendees
- A statement if the program or activity is accredited or non-accredited
- Contact’s name, phone number and email address
- Signed and dated by a representative of the organization
What is required for Sponsorship Requests?
- If the request is associated with a sponsorship for a conference package, please provide a breakdown of what is included in the sponsorship package.
- If a sponsorship includes the opportunity to present an educational activity (industry session, ask-the-expert session, product training lab, etc.) during the course, it must be reviewed under our grants review process before any commitment can be confirmed.
- Please also include a copy of the Sponsors/Exhibitors Prospectus Brochure
- A copy of the conference program/agenda