Frequently Asked Questions
Can financial support be provided through a Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics medical education grant for meals or receptions?
Financial support for meals or receptions may be provided to the third-party provider only if the meal or reception is held at the time of the medical education conference. The meal or reception should be modest in cost and be held at a suitable venue that is conducive to discussion among faculty and attendees. The amount of time spent at the meal or reception must be subordinate to the amount of time spent at the medical education conference.
Can financial support be provided through a Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics medical education grant for residents or other HCPs in training to attend educational conferences?
In accordance with the PhRMA and Advamed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals, funds to permit medical students, residents, fellows and other HCPs in training may be provided to attend carefully selected educational conferences. The selection of individuals who will receive the funds must be made by the academic or training institution and payment will be made to the event organizer and not to an individual HCP. “Carefully selected educational conferences” are generally defined as the major educational, scientific, or policy-making meetings of national, regional or specialty medical associations.
Does previous support of a program by Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics influence future support?
No. Each grant submitted to the Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics Medical Grant Review Committee will be evaluated based on individual merit.
How soon before my activity do I need to submit a grant request?
Requests for support should be submitted online at least 45 days in advance of the activity or enduring materials creation.
Can I request a grant for an activity that has already occurred?
No. The Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics Medical Grant Review Committee will not review grant requests for any event that has already occurred.
How long will it take for the Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics Medical Grant Review Committee to review my grant application?
The Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics Medical Grant Review Committee makes every effort to review each grant request within 8 weeks of receiving an application that is considered complete. Please note that the review process does not begin until you have received notification that all required documentation for the grant application has been completed and received.
When do I receive notification regarding the status of my medical grant application?
You will receive separate emails notifying you of the following:
- Grant request received.
- Grant has been accepted for review by the Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics Medical Grant Review Committee.
- Decision has been made by the Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics Medical Grant Review Committee.
- For approved grants, that a check has been issued and sent out to you.
- Reminder for you to complete the online reconciliation form.
How will I know if my grant request is approved?
- You can check the status of your grant request by logging in to your account on the Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics Grant Management System.
- You will receive a letter via email notifying you when a decision has been made. If your grant request has been approved, you will be sent a subsequent letter via email indicating the approved amount of the grant.
- Please do not consider any grant formally approved until you have received a letter of approval from Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics via email AND the executed Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics Letter of Agreement.
Will my Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics field representative be able to assist me with the application process?
No. Only the Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics Grants Coordinator may assist you with your grant request. Please email us at eGrants@Smith-Nephew-Grants.com for any questions not addressed by visiting this web site.
Will my Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics field representative be able to keep me apprised of the status of my grant?
No. You will be able to check the status of your grant request by logging in to the Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics Grant Management System using the username and password you chose when you registered.
Does Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics ever specifically request or invite grant submissions?
No. Requests for continuing medical education grants are never solicited.
Can I resubmit a grant once it has been denied?
No. The decision made by the Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics Medical Grant Review Committee to decline a grant is final. All further inquiries must be directed to the Smith & Nephew Biotherapeutics Grants Coordinator via email at
What are the required elements of the Letter of Request?
A signed Letter of Request (on third party provider’s letterhead) is required to be attached during the grant application process. A Letter of Request at a minimum should contain these elements:
- Description of program’s learning objectives and program details.
- How the funding will be used.
- Date of program or activity.
- Statement of whether the program or activity is accredited or non-accredited.
- Name and Signature.